Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Rist and Dumas -- My take is backwards from most all other reviewers

 


I realize I'm a bit late in the game to join in on the whole Marlene Dumas fray, but I saw her retrospective at MoMa last week, Measuring Your Own Grave, and quite enjoyed it. It wasn't anything earth shattering by any means, but it was certainly worth the admission price (free, in my case.) If you like cadavers, morose subject material, and basic visual diagrams on proper use of light and shadow, this is your show. It's up through ther 16th.

On the other hand, the Pipilotti Rist show bored me to tears-- floating strawberries, naked feet, dirt, flowers and nipples, oh, my! Next. It was basically a combination of texture and objects, and not much else, but on a massive scale. I personally do not think that massive scale equals great art. Truly great Rist work is when she deals with feminine anger straight on, such as the below legendary Ever is Over All. Now THAT has personality. You can keep your flowers, boobies, and dirty furniture filled with lazy people leaving their bacteria all over. That, in a nutshell, is my Rist MoMa review.



 

No comments: