Monday, January 26, 2009

Yeah, I'm gonna be in print, baby

 


(Above, Mary Pinto's Red Giant)

This Saturday is the launch of Ancient Echoes in Contemporary Printmaking at Hofstra University. I had the pleasure of writing the catalogue essay for this group show, and meeting with each of the five artists at their studios all around the New York area during the summer of 2008. All of the artists here bring such a unique voice to their works. Above is a favorite of mine, Mary Pinto. I saw this work when it was in the very beginning stages of creation at her studio-- just cutouts. She wasn't sure how she'd place the cells, and I remember discussing the different presentation possibilities with her. Now that I see her finished product-- WHOA, NELLY-- I can only say, rock on with your bad self, Mary! Brilliant stuff indeed! And from my own opinion, this is just the tip of the iceberg with this show. The works from start to finish are ridiculously amazing.

At 1:00 PM this Saturday, January 31st, there will be a panel discussion at the Emily Lowe Gallery. All five artists will attend-- Jessica Baker, Michael Herstand, Brian Lynch, Tomomi Ono, and the aforementioned Mary Pinto. You might even see Oly's Musings' author there, too. (Shh!!! Her name is Olympia Lambert.) Give her a shoutout if you see her. 3pm sees the wine and cheese/refreshments being brought out for the artists' reception. Come join me. If you've ever needed a reason to leave the city for Long Island, here it is. Click here for directions. The show will run through March 20th, 2009.

 

No comments: